Serum Institute of India Company Profile, Logo, Establishment, Founder, Vaccine, CEO, Products and More
Serum Institute of India is an Indian company of biotechnology. The company headquarter is in Hadapsar, Pune, India. It is the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer by number of doses produced and sold globally (more than 1.3 billion doses) which includes Polio vaccine as well as Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Hib, BCG, r-Hepatitis B, Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccines. It is estimated that about 65% of the children in the world receive at least one vaccine manufactured by Serum Institute. Vaccines manufactured by the Serum Institute are accredited by the World Health Organization, Geneva and are being used in around 170 countries across the globe in their national immunization programs, saving millions of lives throughout the world.
|Company Name||Serum Institute of India|
|Date of Establishment||1966|
|Founder||Dr. Cyrus Poonawalla|
|Registered Address||212/2, Hadapsar, Off Soli Poonawalla Road, |
Pune 411028 India
- Bacterial Vaccines
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Vaccines
- Viral Vaccines
- Polysaccharide Conjugate Vaccines
- Pharma Products
- Combination Vaccines
- Recombinant and other Products
- Imported Gonadotrophins Marketed in India
- Indian Gonadotrophins
Serum Institute of India was founded in 1966 by Dr. Cyrus Poonawalla with the aim of manufacturing life-saving immuno-biologicals, which were in shortage in the country and imported at high prices. The company is a life-saving biologicals were manufactured at prices affordable to the common man and in abundance, with the result that the country was made self-sufficient for Tetanus Anti-toxin and Anti-snake Venom serum, followed by DTP (Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) group of Vaccines and then later on MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) group of vaccines. The company CEO and Chairman is Adar Poonawalla. He is a great person and manages company very smoothly and smartly.
Some Other Facts
- DTaP Vaccine: Serum Institute of India has initiated development of acellular pertussis vaccine containing purified antigenic components of B. Pertussis viz. Pertussis Toxoid (PT), Filamentous Haemagglutinin (FHA), Pertactin. It is a vaccine that is under development at Serum Institute of India is being tested at NIBSC, UK and is undergoing toxicology studies. The company plans to develop this product for the people of the developing world within next two years. DTP vaccines in the near future will have combinations of other components and the key antigen for such combinations will be acellular pertussis component.
- Pentavalent Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (A, C, Y, W-135, X): Serum Institute of India is working on a thermostable Pentavalent Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (A, C, Y, W-135, X) for developing countries. The Institute is already involved with WHO and PATH to prevent and ultimately eliminate epidemic group A meningococcal disease in the African meningitis belt.
- ErepoXen (Polysialylated Erythropoietin): Serum Institute of India is developing ErepoXen product candidate, which is an enhanced polysialylated form of erythropoietin, a hormone produced by the kidneys to maintain red blood cell production and prevent anaemia caused by chronic kidney failure. ErepoXen uses Lipoxen’s PolyXen® platform technology to attach polysialic acid, a polymer of sialic acid (a biodegradable sugar that is found naturally in the human body) to protein drugs.
- HPV Vaccine: Cervical cancer is the leading cause of female cancer mortality worldwide. Majority of the cervical cancer related deaths occur in low and middle income countries where routine gynecological screening is minimal or absent. Serum Institute of India is developing a tetravalent HPV vaccine which includes L1 VLPs of serotypes 6,11,16,18, which is expected to give a coverage of approximately 90% against papilloma virus prevalent in the developing world. The vaccine is currently under development and will be available in the near future.
If you want to know anything else about the Serum Institute of India Company. Please comment below we will try to provide information.