Established in 1976, Lamps Plus Inc. is a privately owned corporation that designs, manufactures and sells portable lighting, fixture lighting, furniture, home décor items, and a variety of other related products.
Lamps Plus is one of the largest corporations in the private retail industry with as many as 90,000 designs from famous brand names to exclusive 20+ brands and hundreds of new designs introduced every week.
Headquartered in the Chatsworth district of the San Fernando Valley region of the city of Los Angeles, California, the company is still headed and run by Dennis Swanson and his wife.
By offering quality products with top-notch customer service, Lamps Plus has become the nation’s largest lighting retailer with physical and online stores nationwide.
|Company Name||Lamps Plus|
|Year of Establishment||1976|
|Customer Service Phone No.||877-704-2425 |
4:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Pacific Time; Monday to Friday)
7:00 AM – 4:30 PM (Saturday)
About The Lamps Plus
Lamps Plus has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1976. Founded by CEO Dennis Swanson and Co-Owner Manja Swanson, the first store was located in North Hollywood, California, and offered both manufacturing and retail services.
With years of innovation and growth, Lamps Plus has become the largest specialty lighting company in the United States, maintaining a professional trade division, a hospitality division, and a distribution center.
It has also been recognised as one of the top 50 retail websites by Internet Retailer magazine each year. To stay ahead of the curve, Lamps Plus offers customers the unique ability to text store associates without requiring an app and holds several patents for lighting design.
Dennis Swanson even served as past President of the American Lighting Association. The company even had to change its original name of Lamps R Us on a request from Toys “Я” Us.
In 2016, the company faced a data breach of employee data which resulted in a class action lawsuit. However, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Lamps Plus, Inc. v. Varela that the company could compel the employees to settle through individual arbitration based on their employment contract.
- Table Lamps
- Floor Lamps
- Desk Lamps
- Ceiling Lights
- Wall Sconces
- Outdoor Lighting
- Recessed Lighting
- Track Lighting
- LED Lighting
- Bulbs & Accessories
- Cabinet Lighting
- Fans & Ventilation
- Home Decor & Accents
- 1976: Lamps Plus opened its first store in North Hollywood, California, which is still in operation today.
- 1984: Wonder Woman 1984 featured a fictional Lamps Plus store.
- 1997: The LampsPlus.com website was launched.
- 2000: First retail location in Texas opened in Arlington.
- 2001: LampsPlus.com was rated as one of the Best of the Web Top 50 Sites by Internet Retailer.
- 2003: Amazon marketplace opened.
- 2006: Custom made printed shades using a patented method were introduced. Dennis Swanson, founder of Lamps Plus, was also elected to the American Lighting Association Hall of Fame that same year.
- 2007: One million square-foot warehouse and outlet center opened in Redlands, California.
- 2013: Internet Retailer named it a Hot 100 E-Tailer of 2013.
- 2015: Custom, made-to-order program expanded with decorative pillows.
- 2016: Launched exclusive brands such as 360 Lighting and Barnes and Ivy, and partnered with Green Builder Media on the energy efficient Vision House. Additionally, The company was named a top retailer for the third year in a row.
- 2019: Lamps Plus was named the Best Omni-Channel Retailer by eTail